[Terrapreta] Fwd: Fwd: Global Carbon Cycle

lou gold lou.gold at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 12:07:28 CDT 2007

Hi Duane,

Perhaps we are missing something from each other's messages? It seems to go
round and round in a tedious way.

Here's what I know: only a portion of the carbon "sunk" in a living tree is
transferred to the sink of construction. A very large portion, considered as
waste and slash is burned. For example, Brazil is a major emitter of GHG and
20% of its emissions come from burning the forest in the process of
deforestation. The new plantation, if one is planted (very rare) takes a
long time to recover the volume of CO2 that has been released. Also trees
are planted as a crop which means they will be cut again releasing another
increment to the atmosphere. The new growth sequestration and the volume
sunk into construction never catch up with the release through
deforestation.

BUT, if all burning was converted into char that is returned to the soil
that indeed would be an act of human industry -- one that might both improve
agricultural productivity,  create a new local economy and reduce the need
for further deforestation. As I understand it, that is the dream of Terra
Preta.

The question is how is the introduction of the new technology is to be
financed and what will be the way that it can be made more profitable than
illegal logging? An assistance fund somehow tied to a carbon credit scheme
is Brazil's current proposal to the developed world. I do not understand how
you see that approach as flawed? It's important to understand that Brazil is
not Canada. There are 10s of millions living here on less than U$ 2 per day.
It would not take a huge fund to "incentivize" a switch from a deforestation
economy to a Terra Preta agricultural economy. Why wouldn't you (we) want to
do that?

lou

--
Lou Gold