[Terrapreta] Fwd: Fwd: Global Carbon Cycle

Duane Pendergast still.thinking at computare.org
Wed Jun 6 10:13:32 CDT 2007

            Thanks for reading it Lou,

You say my submission sounds like the voice of industrial forestry. I wish
it was, as in that case I might have been paid to prepare it. I was not. I
submitted it as a Canadian citizen concerned that Canada's forests were not
given adequate recognition in the Kyoto protocol.

As you can see the accounting method Canada uses for forest products assumes
harvested trees are, in essence, burned on the spot releasing their carbon
as CO2 back to the atmosphere. There is thus no incentive to try and contain
the carbon in forest products as could be accomplished by accounting for
carbon in forest products with ultimate conversion to biochar. I did not go
there in the submission as I expected that just the concept of storing
carbon in wood products would be too difficult a concept for our
parliamentarians to understand.

I was right. You might be comforted to know that the Parliamentary
Committee, which was considering Canada's commitment to Kyoto, showed zero
interest in the submission. They did seem to get a modest grasp on the idea
growing trees could absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. One step at a
time.

So far many proposed  actions related to greenhouse gas emissions take a
very narrow view, protecting pet projects which might not have much to do
with controlling greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. Preserving "natural"
forests and protecting them from human intervention is one of those pet
goals coming from environmental organizations. Good luck with that.

If we are to control greenhouse gases, then the needs of humans will need to
be better integrated with the carbon cycle - and forests. Terra preta could
be a breakthrough which allows, through human intervention, an increase in
earths "capital" and overall productivity.

I guess that could be the voice of human industry.

Duane