[Terrapreta] Eureka!!! It Flared

adkarve adkarve at pn2.vsnl.net.in
Thu Jun 7 10:08:22 CDT 2007

Dear Sean,
the T-LUD stove consists of a pot that contains wood chips and a space above the pot where the pyrolysis gas is burned. The wood chip holder has relatively small holes near its base for primary air. This pot is filled with wood chips. The chips are ignited at the top and the burning front migrates downwards. Since the primary air traverses from the base of the fuel heap to its top and the burning front migrates from top of the heap to the bottom, this stove is called Top-lit Up-draft, or T-LUD. Above the chip holder pot, there is a space, where the pyrolysis gas emanating from the burning wood chips is  provided with secondary air, so that it get completely combusted. To make the utility of the primary and secondary air clear to the uninitiated, I use the analogy of a kerosene lantern and a kerosene wick stove. In the lantern, the flame is surrounded by glass, so that it gets only primary air. Therefore the flame is sooty and yellow. In the wick stove, the flames are surrounded by a perforated cylinder, which supplies the flames with secondary air. As a result, the flame is blue and without soot or smoke.
Yours
A.D.Karve