[Terrapreta] VM composition

Michael J. Antal, Jr. mantal at hawaii.edu
Thu Jun 7 13:23:26 EDT 2007

Dear Kevin: your question is both good, and reflects widely held
misconceptions.  A "good" charcoal with a low VM content (< 30%) will have
experienced a temperature of 500 C or more.  Tars do not survive such a
temperature.  Thus there are no tars present in a "good" charcoal.
Furthermore, the VM content of charcoal is not soluble in any common
solvent.

The VM content is simply a measure of the propensity of the material to
decompose when heated to a high temperature.  Charcoal contains various
functional groups (i.e. carboxy, carbonyl, ketone, lactone, pyranone, etc.)
that are attached to the carbonaceous backbone structure of the charcoal and
are not stable at high temperatures, decomposing to form CO2, CO, CH4, H2,
etc when heated.  These functionalities are the "VM content" of the
charcoal.

If you are interested in further details, please contact me and I can send
you two technical papers on this subject that were recently accepted for
publication in IECR.  One of these papers offers details of the actual
functional group structures that compose carbonized charcoal.

Regards, Michael.

P.S. Tars formed from biomass and cellulose are easily dissolved in
methanol, ethanol, or acetone.  We prefer to use ethanol.