[Terrapreta] The Humphrey Pump Connection?

Jeff Davis jeff0124 at velocity.net
Thu Jun 7 18:21:15 EDT 2007

Dear Kevin,

Kevin wrote:
> I used finely sized spruce sawdust as a filter/absorber to partially
> remove tars from the blackwater used to quench and wash gasifier gas. I
> saved the blackened sawdust, and it dried over the winter. I noticed a
> few days ago that 100's of ants were taking it away.
>
> I conclude from this that the tars associated with wood gasification are
> not toxic to "wildlife" as would be coal tar creosote. I further
> speculate as follows:

I hope so!

Allow me to draw one more connection and a “what if”.

At my workshop I have a bit of a mouse issue so I purchase mouse poison
(it may be called rat poison) and place it appropriately.

I have found that the mice, although they may eat some of the poison at
location, will carry the poison away and store it, apparently for a rainy
day. This is so for the solid block version and the small agglomerate
poison.

Connection:
I draw a POSSIBLE connection between your ants and my mice.

What If:
What if your ants, somewhat like my mice, are attracted to the
tar/condensates and plan to dine on it at a later date and will succumb to
poisoning at that time?

Best wishes,

Jeff

--
Jeff Davis

Some where 20 miles south of Lake Erie, USA