[Terrapreta] The Humphrey Pump Connection?

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu Jun 7 00:33:01 EDT 2007

Dear Jeff

I can't directly answer your question, but I can tell you the following...

I used finely sized spruce sawdust as a filter/absorber to partially
remove tars from the blackwater used to quench and wash gasifier gas. I
saved the blackened sawdust, and it dried over the winter. I noticed a
few days ago that 100's of ants were taking it away.

I conclude from this that the tars associated with wood gasification are
not toxic to "wildlife" as would be coal tar creosote. I further
speculate as follows:

1: Tars from wood gasification would not likely be useful for wood
preservation, as is coal tar creosote.
2: There is no indication that tars from wood gasification would be
harmful to plants. (If the tars killed ants, then would suggest being
very careful before putting it on plants.)

I have read someplace about charcoal making, where the tars are actually
collected for the purpose of being added to the soil, for growth
enhancement, and for insect abatement. I don't understand teh mechanism
for insect control, in that the tars and whatever captured by the
sawdust did not seem to harm the ants in any way.

So, at this stage, I would say that I can see no reason not to proceed
further to consider adding charcoal tars to the soil.

Best wishes,

Kevin