[Terrapreta] VM composition

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Sun Jun 10 06:12:19 EDT 2007

Thank you Tom

This is some confusion for me quite a while now. As I have endeavored
to create an experiment that at least parallels Steiners plot studies
here in the PNW feedback on this forum has lead me to believe I
should be using charcoals that are produced at the low end of the
temperature spectrum. As we have no way to measure, accurately these
temperatures hopefully proximate analysis will inform us what I have
going into my 2 year trials at 4CN.

In any case this entire effort has a very good educational write-off
for me as I have been working our farm soils pretty much seat-of-
pants and now after taking an analytical approach have come to
realize our soil fertility management practices have been pretty
good. This then takes me back to the original question when I started
my research on charcoal here that do these effects known in the moist
tropics apply to our moist temperate climate? The new question
unfolding for me is : Where there are no particular problems in soil
fertility and organic matter levels will a positive effect be shown
by charcoal additions to soil. Coincidentally this is how our local
Soil Conservation District person was wondering why we should treat
the soil when there is no apparent problem in contrast to problems in
farming oxysols in the moist tropics.

The only problem in our sandy loam soil is maintaining available
nitrogen levels. Hence my studies this year and next I will be
looking very closely at the differences in nitrogen between my
treatment sets.

In addition, I have become interested as a line of inquiry whether
the porous structure of hardwood charcoal is a habitat for free
living nitrogen fixing bacteria as Ogawa indicated. I have saved half
of our charcoal we prepared for this purpose and it and charcoal
donated by John Flotvik is currently aging in a mixed deciduous
forest under-story.

In my study for next year I would like to look more closely at our
forest soil here that are mycorrhizial fungus dominated,highly
leached, and have abundant annual organic matter input from leaf/
needle litter and woody debris. What role might charcoal play in such
a place?

Rich H