[Terrapreta] VM composition

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sat Jun 9 18:55:41 EDT 2007

Richard,

I reviewed charcoal compositions recording volatile matter for several
studies. I don't yet see a correlation between VM and plant response. The
trials reported by Ogawa and others, and recently by Julie Major at IAI and
the slash and char tests by Christoph Steiner appear to be made with
conventional charcoals that probably vary from 10-30% VM.

The mechanism and impact of condensed tars or pyroligneous acids (wood
vinegar) seems to be different. Char and tar are different products made at
different stages of pyrolysis. Rather than try to make them all in one
package it might be useful to identify how they are used by organisms
individually. A related question is whether processes that purport to
combine char and tars in one products have them in forms useful to plants
and organisms.

Tom