[Terrapreta] Charcoal Supply

rukurt at westnet.com.au rukurt at westnet.com.au
Sat Jun 16 07:34:07 EDT 2007

Stephen Hayden wrote:
> Certain clays, such as magnesium silicates, can be carbonized through
> a controlled process.  There's much info on the web -
> http://www.netl.doe.gov/publications/proceedings/01/carbon_seq/6c2.pdf for
> example.
Looking through the pdf mentioned above, I see pressures of 185
atmospheres, also heat treatment, magnetic separation etc. This sounds
like an industrial process that might be applied to coal fired power
house stack gas treatment. Then there's the magnesium carbonate to get
rid of. Hardly an agricultural method of CO2 sequestration. Possibly
useful for "CleanCoal" though.

Thanks for the info,

Kurt