[Terrapreta] Nutrient adsorbtion by fresh charcoal

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sat Jun 16 20:41:04 EDT 2007

This is an important question that we have not discussed completely on the
list. It was posted to the Terra Preta website by Folke Gunther who is now
on the list. Tom Miles

------------

Nutrient <http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/charcoaluses#comment-22>
adsorption by fresh charcoal

Submitted by Folkeg <http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/user/54>  on Sat,
2007-04-21 08:33.

As I understand it, adding fresh charcoal to the soil would have an initial
effect of removing nutrients from the soil. After the sites are fillded up,
the typical 'Terra Preta' effect would add on.
Adding nutrients to the char previous to the addition to soil would
reduce/reverse this initial effect.
For example, adding urine.
Does anybody have any idea of the specific adsorption capacity for charcoal
on nutrients?

Folke Günther
Lund, Sweden
www.holon.se/folke