[Terrapreta] Some clarifying answers

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue Mar 6 13:16:36 CST 2007

Hi Eric,

You asked a question below that I saw in a previous post from Ron Larson.  The units, "tons of carbon per hectare per year" (tC/ha/yr), is used for measuring the amount of carbon taken from the atmosphere (an offset to CO2 emissions) by plant growth.  It refers specifically to the weight of carbon in CO2, which inspired by plants grown over one hectare of land, during one growing season.  As long as the plant growth is not combusted, eaten, or decomposed, then the carbon the plants contain is locked up (sequestered) into the molecular bonds of the plant material.

Fast growing young forests are good carbon offsets, because the bulk of the carbon which they take in as CO2, stays perched in the trees above and swollen into the roots systems below many hectares of land.  When forests get older, they are no longer net carbon sinks, because they have decomposition of the plant material which puts CO2 back into the atmosphere.  A forest can sequester lots of carbon for a good twenty years.  Terra Preta soil has carbon which stays almost permanently, certainly with half-life of many thousands of years.

Both plant growth and other carbon sequestering technologies ("offsetting technologies") are carbon sinks.  They all do it in chunks measurable as weights of carbon over areas of land and durations of time.  Some are just better at it than others.  I hope this clarifies.

Regards,

Sean K. Barry
Principal Engineer/Owner
Troposphere Energy, LLC