[Terrapreta] Some clarifying answers

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 18:19:16 CST 2007

I found all of it very confusing.

 The shorthand used in Amazon Dark Earths is also confusing. Why can people
just say 'tonnes per hectare' instead of using Mickey Mouse "maths
equations"?

 And when one researcher quotes in acres or meters you have to sit and
figure for half a day before getting a meaningful comparison in the
research. What ever happened to plain English?
****************
On the Old forests thing  there is some new research that is casting doubt
on the role of older forests on carbon sequestration
See:
 http://news.mongabay.com/2006/1204-forests.html
It would be good if they are right
On the decomposition thing do we know what is going on re soil zoology
vis-a-vis CO2?
Are the fungi and "wee beasties" storing or exhaling CO2?
Does anyone know?

Michaelangelica