[Terrapreta] Flash Carbonization reactor progress

Michael J. Antal, Jr. mantal at hawaii.edu
Wed Mar 7 12:49:39 CST 2007

Hi Ron: thanks for your kind comments.  Our most recent test of the Flash
Carbonization Demonstration Reactor (a commercial scale pyrolysis unit on
campus) was a complete success.  The reactor performed somewhat better than
our lab scale work had led us to expect.

On the other hand, the catalytic afterburner did not perform well.  There
was far too much smoke for an urban environment.  We are focusing our
current efforts on fine tuning the afterburner.  We hope that the equipment
will be fully operational (turnkey) by the end of the spring.  At that time
it will become the responsibility of the business community to exploit the
practical knowledge that we in academia have gained after much toil.

More details can be found on the HNEI website below.

Thanks again, Michael.

Michael J. Antal, Jr.
Coral Industries Distinguished Professor of Renewable Energy Resources
Hawaii Natural Energy Institute
School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology (SOEST)
1680 East-West Rd., POST 109
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Honolulu, HI 96822

Phone: 808/956-7267