[Terrapreta] Charcoal properties II

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Wed Mar 7 18:24:25 CST 2007

Sean,

I think the integrated process that you suggest is a great project for an
individual or eco-community where motivation and low cost labor can make it
work. I'm reminded of Janice Thies post of a couple of weeks ago:
"Lastly, from my personal gardening experiences, I use spent charcoal from
the filters of the 14 aquaria I maintain for my viewing pleasure. I combine
it as about 5% of my mix with 65% peat moss, 10% vermicompost (from my worm
bin in my basement where I compost all my household kitchen waste - aged and
stabilized, not fresh!), 5-10% leaf mulch (composted on my leafy property in
NY), 5-7% perlite to increase drainage, decrease bulk density and improve
water retention and percolation, and some bone meal and blood meal (to taste
:-) ).  This makes an excellent potting mix for my indoor 'forest'.  I am
very much still playing around with this. "

Identifying the appropriate quality of charcoal for the appropriate use is
an important step. I think there is a great deal of experience evolving on
what works and what doesn't. If we can link charcoal quality to agronomic
(terra preta) uses then we can find an appropriate means of production. In
my experience, after others have done it once, converting local agricultural
waste to a useful product usually becomes a specialized activity for
someone. For widespread use in our community we need to think down the road
to agro-industrial production.

I'm not sure what industrial scale the EPRIDA process would be. A modular
charcoal plant available today in North America can produce about 20 tons
per day or one truckload. The BEST Energies (US/Australia) 2 tphr system
would produce about 15 tpd biochar and electricity. From there you drop down
to char as a byproduct of a 100 tpd bio-oil plant at 10 tpd or the Hawaii
Natural Energy Institute Demo Reactor at a similar scale. The Bioenergy LLC
kilns in Russia produce from 10 tpd down to 1 tpd. The next level is
probably the Pro-natura/Ecocarbone continuous kiln at 4 tonnes per day. The
flat kilns built in Java for carbon sequestration trials produced about 200
lbs of charcoal per day (.255 t/3 days). ARTI (Appropriate Rural Technology
Institute, Pune India) kilns produce about 50 kg charcoal from sugar cane
trash per day at 7 kg/batch (21 kg biomass). These kilns represent a wide
range of technologies suitable for a variety of situations.

I don't think "rolling trucks to where is the charcoal is wanted is a
problem" in North America. Current bulk deliveries are up to 500 miles from
major plants. A truckload, at 20 tons/load and application rate of 4 ton per
acre (200 lb/1000 ft2), will cover 5 acres or about 2 hectares. Once a
nurseryman, landscaper, farmer, garder or land reclamation engineer is
satisfied about the quality of the charcoal they need and the appropriate
application they might take delivery of one or several truckloads but, like
the Four Corner Nursery) they take the risk for its use.

Tom Miles
http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org

Links:
EPRIDA, Georgia, www.eprida.com
BEST Energies http://www.bestenergies.com/companies/bestpyrolysis.html
JFWasteEnergy, Canada, http://www.jfwasteenergysystems.com/
Ensyn Technologies, Canada, http://www.ensyn.com/
Dynamotive Technologies, Canada, http://www.dynamotive.com/
Hawaii Natural Energy Institute, Hawaii, US
http://www.hnei.hawaii.edu/bio.r3.asp
Bioenergy LLC (St Petersburg, Russia)
http://gasifiers.bioenergylists.org/gasdoc/Yudkevitch/charcoal/index.html
Pronatura/Ecocarbone http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/pronaturachar
Charcoal Production for Carbon Sequestration (JICA/FODOR)
http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/fodorjica3 or
http://www.georgiaitp.org/carbon/PDF%20Files/Posters/AndoPoster.pdf
Appropriate Rural Technoology Insitute, Pune, India
http://tekdi.net/arti/content/view/42/40/
Learning to use wood charcoal in farming, Four Corner Nursery
http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/haardcharcoal

  _____