[Terrapreta] "unanticipated consequences"

Douglas Clayton dnclayton at wildblue.net
Sat Mar 10 20:01:31 CST 2007

Yesterday afternoon NPR's "Talk of the Nation--Science Friday" had a
program "Is Biofuel a Viable Alternative to Gasoline?", in which they
pretty effectively trashed grain based ethanol and promoted cellulosic
for about half an hour.  You can listen here:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7806281

The guests were:
Dan Kammen, co-director, Berkeley Institute of the Environment;
professor, Energy And Resources Group, University of California,
Berkeley
Mitch Mandich, CEO of Range Fuels
Jim McMillan , manager, Biorefining Process R&D Group at the National
Renewable Energy Laboratory

So after the show I wrote a letter to Dr. Kammen and Dr. McMillan.  Dr.
McMillan is on the road and couldn't be reached, but I had the
following brief exchange with Dr. Kammen which I share with you here
(my letter is below):

> On Mar 9, 2007, at 8:24 PM, Dan Kammen wrote:
>> i am very skeptical about soil altering as a real way to sequester
>> carbon.

> Could you please elaborate? Is this after studying  Lehmann's,
> Steiner's, Ogawas', Laird's and others work, or is this just a hunch?
> Can you please refer me to some of the papers refuting Lehmann et. al.?
> Thank you.
>
> Doug Clayton

yes, these sorts of efforts have historically resulted in
initially unanticipated consequences  and othe ecological impacts.

"these sorts of efforts"?  Please site an example of what you are
referring to.  Are you familiar with this bio-char research or not?  I
am unaware of any historical effort to sequester carbon in the soil
beyond the traditional strategies for increasing biomass through
improved agricultural practices and restoration of forests.

That is where it ended, just moments after it began.  Perhaps he was
offended by my style.  But I am left wondering what he was talking
about and I put it out there to the rest of the group:

  Who are the skeptics, what are they saying and where are they saying
it?  Are there academics publishing papers that contradict the "hopeful
news" we've all been pumping each other up with?

My letter:

>>> Dear Dr. Kammen and Dr. McMillan,
>>>
>>> I just heard you two on NPR's "Science Friday"  and spent a
>>> frustrating half hour redialing in an attempt to get on.  Enjoyed
>>> hearing your
>>> discussion anyway.  Too bad it was so short.
>>>
>>> A few weeks ago I woke up to all the excitement one can find on the
>>> web regarding Terra Preta soils and the potential to recreate them,
>>> sequester carbon, make bio-fuels, engage in "carbon trading", etc.,
>>> etc.  Since there are scientist like Dr. Lehmann at Cornell, Dr.
>>> Laird
>>> at the USDA lab in Iowa, Dr. Brown at the Iowa State and Dr. Antal at
>>> the U. of Hawaii who are doing some of the primary research, I'm
>>> inclined to hope that there may be something to it.
>>>
>>> I want to contribute to this effort in some way.
>>>
>>> I have spoken and corresponded with Dr. Lehmann and Dr. Laird (and a
>>> few others) and they have been very helpful and given some good
>>> guidance. I have been reaching out to soil scientists in New England
>>> in the hope of discovering or stimulating some research in my region.
>>> And I have been seeking entrepreneurial partners with whom to pursue
>>> economic opportunities.  My primary motivation is a "save the planet"
>>> one but I have aroused the interest of an investment banker friend in
>>> New York with whom I have a good working relationship.
>>>
>>> I am meeting with with Danny Day and others at Eprida in Athens
>>> Georgia next week.  The Eprida vision of distributed pyrolizers,
>>> producing
>>> both a nitrogen rich charcoal based fertilizer and biofuels is the
>>> most
>>> intriguing, holistic, multifaceted concept I've read about in this
>>> arena.

>>>  I would appreciate the opportunity to have a brief phone
>>> conversation with you
>>> regarding Eprida and/or alternative technologies I should
>>> be directing venture capital towards.
>>>
>>> I'll gladly call you if you give me a number and time.

Douglas Clayton
50 Bullard Road
Jaffrey, NH 03452
H. 603-532-7321