[Terrapreta] Recycling pyrolysis smoke back into bio-char

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sun Mar 11 20:50:28 CDT 2007

Danny or others on the list will have more specific information but here are
a couple of reference points.

http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/steinerlongterm is the most recent link
to a Steiner reference on the terra preta site.

In that paper he references:
Steiner , Teixeira WG, Lehmann J, Zech W (2004a) Microbial response to
charcoal amendments of highly weathered soils and amazonian dark earths in
centralAmazonia-preliminary results. In: Glaser B, Woods WI (eds) Amazonian
dark earths: explorations in space and time. Springer Verlag, Heidelberg, pp
195-212

 This was one of about three studies that he presentated in the 2004
conference.

I guess you have to buy the book or request the paper from Steiner.

Piopirol is pyrolysis oil. The whole issue of whether you pyrolyze the wood
and distill the oil then recombine it or whether you leave the volatiles in
the char is unclear. AD Karve, Appropriate Rural Technology Insitute in
Pune, India ( <http://www.arti-india.org> www.arti-india.org) just returned
from a charcoal making workshop in Pak Chong, Thailand. He reports that in
the Japanese kilns demonstrated at the workshop "A valuable byproduct of
these kilns was wood vinegar. It sells at about US$6 per litre. Wood vinegar
is used as an agricultural pesticide and also as a plant growth promoting
agent."

Pirolenhoso is liquid smoke, pyrolysis wood, or pyroligneous acids.
http://www.guirra.com.br/guirranet/pirolenhoso.htm
>From the Brazilian Horticultura Association:
http://www.abhorticultura.com.br/Classifica/Default.asp?id=184

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyroligneous_acid
http://takara.jeffotto.com/wood_vinegar.htm

Richard must know about the use of wood vinegar for promotion mushroom
growth:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/h325242h6715158v/
Promoting effect of wood vinegar compounds on fruit-body formation
ofPleurotus ostreatus

See:
http://www.agnet.org/library/pt/2005025/

Tom