[Terrapreta] Charcoal properties

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 01:12:37 CDT 2007

On 12/03/07, Michael J Antal <mantal at hawaii.edu> wrote:

> Hi Sean: nothing particular that anyone knows of.  Michael.
>

> > Is there anything particular about the charcoal which Orchids grow
> > in?  Does it have a particular porousity?  A particuler source?
> > What kind of volatile matter does it have?
> >
> > SKB

The stuff I have seen for sale in nurseries seems to be pretty ordinary
charcoal but a lagrish 1/2 -1" lumps, usually even in size, and looks free
of ash, as if it has been washed.
I suspect it is mainly used to keep the potting mix (usually bark) well
aerated and a little moist. It may help with fertiliser retention too.
There must be a TP orchid grower somewhere who can tell us?.

I am the only person on the planet that kills orchids as I can never believe
that they can live in orchid potting mix and so keep adding extraneous
organic matter to my pots. I fuss about them when I think they really thrive
on neglect.