[Terrapreta] Terra Preta Trials 2007

Kelpie Wilson kelpie at kelpiewilson.com
Sun Mar 25 13:50:35 CDT 2007

Here in the Oregon woods, we are constantly clearing small trees and
brush around our houses to increase our fire safety. We clear the
brush and then make burn piles - spring and fall you will see small
burn piles in every back yard. I asked my husband to try to make his
burn pile a little cooler to make more charcoal and less ash. After
all the small stuff - leaves and small branches - burned up, he
misted it with the hose to cool it down and left it smoldering all
night. The next day we put the fire out completely with water. We
ended up with a nice pile of charcoal for the garden, about 3
wheelbarrow loads of mixed charcoal and ash.

I figure that if nothing else, we are keeping some carbon out of the
atmosphere by controlling the burn pile this way - we have to burn anyway.

Does anyone have any tips for how much of this charcoal to put in my
garden beds? They are raised beds about 4 feet wide and 20 feet long.
How thick a charcoal layer do I need? How deep into the soil should I bury it?

Thanks,
Kelpie