[Terrapreta] Terra Preta Trials 2007

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Sun Mar 25 21:06:01 CDT 2007

On Mar 25, 2007, at 11:50 AM, Kelpie Wilson wrote:

> Here in the Oregon woods, we are constantly clearing small trees
> and brush around our houses to increase our fire safety. We clear
> the brush and then make burn piles - spring and fall you will see
> small burn piles in every back yard. I asked my husband to try to
> make his burn pile a little cooler to make more charcoal and less
> ash. After all the small stuff - leaves and small branches - burned
> up, he misted it with the hose to cool it down and left it
> smoldering all night. The next day we put the fire out completely
> with water. We ended up with a nice pile of charcoal for the
> garden, about 3 wheelbarrow loads of mixed charcoal and ash.
>
> I figure that if nothing else, we are keeping some carbon out of
> the atmosphere by controlling the burn pile this way - we have to
> burn anyway.
>
> Does anyone have any tips for how much of this charcoal to put in
> my garden beds? They are raised beds about 4 feet wide and 20 feet
> long. How thick a charcoal layer do I need? How deep into the soil
> should I bury it?
>
> Thanks,
> Kelpie

Hello Kelpie - This is also a study topic for me.

To take advantage of the benefits of charcoal it should be combined
with fertilizer or compost or manure what ever you are normally using
in your gardening. You could use as much as 10% to 30 % by volume
that you work into the root zone with a hoe or fork. If you are
planting into rows you may apply the charcoal in strips and leave
other strips untreated, (or bed sections). To see if there is any
difference.

If your soil is acidic the charcoal and ash will raise the pH. If you
are concerned about your soil becoming too alkaline you may remove
the ash before applying.  pH testing is easy to do with  litmus
papers purchased at your garden store.

Lastly all of us here who are also studying this use of charcoal
would appreciate if you save a small sample in a mason jar with some
notes on what you did to make the stuff and what kinds of biomass as
it may be useful to study the sample at some time in the future.

For your interest here is a clip from a  posting by Larry Williams
that we sent out to our local friends on the topic.

This may give you some additional ideas on using charcoal and please
keep us posted on how your garden is growing.

Rich Haard
Bellingham, Washington

My approach in working with the soil is very different from Rich with
his scientific and agricultural experience. I draw my experience from
landscaping, wetland restoration, forest ecological workshops and a
very close tie to nature since childhood. My techniques follow
Permaculture concepts to a certain degree although I have a strong
tie to a temperate ecology as it relates to woody debris in the forest.

With Terra Preta, I attempt to view it's usage as I perceive a
villager would observe it's potential. My meager attempt to make
charcoal last season was based on city (Bellingham) living with fire
and smoke restrictions enforced. This means that I made charcoal in a
Weber grill cooking Alder smoked chicken. A tasty meal with a few
pieces of charcoal to place in the garden. For the last eight years I
have cooked on the Weber year round. This translates to three or four
times a month. So I cumulated a nice little pile, 20 lbs. or so of
charcoal and charred wood, once I decided to collect the charcoal.

My vegetable bed in Bellingham is layered with composted wood chip,
leaves, up rooted weeds, grass clippings and sea weed over the
growing season. The dirt is covered and the soil structure is left as
undisturbed as possible. I use iron phosphate pellets for slug control.

Yes, I do feel very comfortable with my field experience and do feel
overwhelmed around strict scientist. Rich has guided me on many
points based in science that are beyond my schooling and
observational powers. We have enjoyed each others style for some time
now. I haven't quite converted him yet though he got excited when he
photographed the charcoal from under the swiss chard.  He later wrote
that there was an "abundance of fungal hyphae adhering to the
charcoal after a relatively short time buried" (four or five months
later).

I recently did a charcoal (from strawberry guava) pit burn on the
Kona coast of Hawaii for usage in a garden. The fire was started
around 10:30 PM. Given that there was more lava rocks than soil I
needed to smother the fire with green grass, relatively dry coconut
fronds (leaves) with the petiole laden with moisture and banana
leaves. This layering was covered with wet cardboard and then covered
with a light coat of soil. The pile was rained on and hand watered
till early morning. The fire did break through around 7:30 AM and
started to burn some charcoal to ash as I put the fire out with a
hose. I ended up with just over three five gallon buckets of charcoal
with a quarter of that as charred wood.

What impressed me most was the rich smell of the steamed and charred
grass (the green additions). I thought of the compost teas made from
garden weeds which is a different smell and is a very rich soup to
give to garden plants (this is something that I do in Bellingham). If
I would have been able to I would have soaked the charcoal (from
strawberry guava) and charred wood with these greens and then used
them in the planting beds.

Since I am stateside now a friend will keep me informed on the
actions taken and if he sees any significant results. I suggested
that he only do half of any planting row and that he could decide to:
1) bury the charcoal in a new planting bed under 4 or 5 inches of
soil or
2) mix the charcoal (smaller pieces) in the top 3 inches of the soil or
3) spread the charcoal on the surface and
4) with the charred pieces of wood he could drive the wood into the
soil (with a hammer if needed) around shrubs. I pointed at some
pepper plants that could use this technique.

This gives you some idea of how I have decided to use charcoal.