[Terrapreta] Terra Preta Trials 2007

Kelpie Wilson kelpie at kelpiewilson.com
Mon Mar 26 11:49:39 CDT 2007

Bruno, thanks for the warning about the ash - I'll test the pH and
maybe add some pine needles from the forest if it looks too alkaline.
Regarding burning brush and wood slash - a number of years ago we
tried to compost some of the material. We can't leave the stuff
sitting around thru the long hot dry season here because it is too
much of a fire danger. So we rented a chipper and made chips and left
them in small piles. I admit we never turned them or anything. They
are still there, not looking very decomposed. Of course it took a lot
of gas to haul the chipper up here and run it.

People do lot of burning in my county - it is not illegal during the
right season. Most people are not going to bother to rent a chipper -
for one thing, this is about the poorest county in Oregon and people
don't have much extra income. I am trying to spread the word locally
that if people burn to produce charcoal, they will keep some amount
of carbon out of the atmosphere and as a bonus end up with a valuable
soil amendment for their gardens.

-Kelpie