[Terrapreta] Fw: Terra Preta Trials 2007

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Mar 25 22:56:05 CDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: Sean K. Barry<mailto:sean.barry at juno.com>
To: Robert Niederman<mailto:rniederman at cegworldwide.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2007 10:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Terrapreta] Terra Preta Trials 2007

Hi Bob and Others,

Yes, basically, you are right, the charcoal is carbon which will NOT decompose in the soil.  Charcoal is not food for the soil micro-organisms.  They like to digest sugars, starch, cellulose, lignin (complex carbohydrates).  Charcoal is more nearly pure carbon, like 75-93%.  The carbon is useless as food for soil microbes, but it does provide a haven for them to grow in and it also holds water.
Both of these attributes are thought to be related to the porosity of the charcoal.

Some think charcoal which is made at lower temperatures and therefore contains some lesser decomposed "poly-aromatic hydrocarbons" (sometimes called wood tars or "liquid-smoke") does provide some food for microbes.  The PAH can maybe give soil microbes a jump start at populating the charcoal matrix, but the PAH also make charcoal less porous, perhaps.

I think there may be good reason to believe that "Terra Preta" was made with lower temperature charcoal, given the way it has been theorized as being made; i.e. slash-and-char in the rainforest (cut the trees down, start them on fire, bury them in soil, and it's going to rain later in the afternoon everyday) DOES NOT make for particularly hot fires (reduced oxygen supply and water added).  Do you think?

Plus the charcoal found in Amazonian "Terra Preta" soils still retains the cell wall structures from the original trees that were burned 1000s of years ago.  Very high temperature "destructive distillation" or "pyrolysis" of wood has more effect on the structure of the wood.  The exiting gases are more explosive and more likely to shatter the cell wall structures, maybe even liquefy the wood and leave it like bubbly tar before cooling to leave something more "coke" like.

The theoretical maximum amount of charcoal obtainable from pyrolysis of biomass is like 30-45% by weight.  When it's done right, there is little or no smoke (particulate carbon and cooled PAH, a.k.a. soot) and the remainder of the mass from the biomass is exhausted from the pyroysis reactor as hot gases (H2, CO, CH4, CO2, H2O, N2).  The first 3 gases; molecular hydrogen, carbon monoxide, and methane are flammable and can be used as fuels.  The others, carbon dioxide, water vapor, molecular nitrogen are relatively inert and just carry away heat.  Up to 60-65% of the energy that was originally in the biomass can be retained in the charcoal, with the rest remaining the molecular bonds of the exhaust flammable gases or going away in the radiated heat.

The point is, you hit the nail on the head, charcoal (more pure carbon) won't decompose, where as biomass is digested and excreted (as CO2) by soil microbes.  It's not all of the carbon that was in the biomass originally, but it can be like 75-93% of it.
Once it goes into the soil, it's going to stay for a very long time (a least several 1000s of years so far).  So, it is sequestering carbon from the atmosphere, because the plants took in the carbon as CO2 from the atmosphere, fixed (sequestered) it temporarily into the plant carbohydrates, then smart men and women came along, converted it to charcoal, and made a better, more longer-lasting method for carbon sequestration.

I want to make this very important point again...

Whether "Terra Preta" can actually improve soil quality or not, it can very effectively sequester carbon from the atmosphere.

And, I have every belief that it can improve soil quality and/or fertility, mostly because I don't believe the ancient Amazonian people would have carried on for centuries making "Terra Preta", if it did not help them feed the hundreds of thousands or million of people that it probably took to make as much "Terra Preta" as they did make.

Lobby your favorite politicians to enact a carbon trading scheme in the USA as soon as possible!

Regards,

Sean K. Barry
Principal Engineer/Owner
Troposphere Energy, LLC