[Terrapreta] Terra Preta Trials 2007

Ron Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sun Mar 25 22:10:31 CDT 2007

Answer to question from Robert Niederman, asking today:

> I have a question.  I've run across this concept that making charcoal
> actually ""sequesters" carbon.  Sequester a beautiful word.  But what
> does it actually mean when it comes to making charcoal?  Every fire I
> have seen, including those made with charcoal have lots of smoke.  Yes,
> we have carbon in the charcoal.  But we also have about half of it in
> the atmosphere. Where does the "sequestering" come in?  Are we saying
> that by making charcoal we are pulling the carbon out of the
> decomposition chain which occurs when we compost?

     I would say you have the idea behind the word "sequester" approximately
correct. But making the charcoal is not enough, since the charcoal itself
can be later burned.  The sequestering comes when the charcoal is
sufficiently well mixed in the soil that it cannot be "un-mixed."

    Re your last sentence, I would add that we have to also remind people
that the photosynthesis process is taking CO2 out of the atmosphere (using
sunlight) to create the biomass that can be pyrolyzed ("charcoaled").  You
are of course correct about compost decomposition being prevented, and we
need to educate that charcoal is "almost" unable to be decomposed.

    Most discussion on the web about "sequestration" assumes that CO2 from
burning fossil (almost always talking coal) resources is liquified and
"stored/sequestered" at great depths.  Despite billions of federal dollars
in so called "clean coal" research, there are no real-world working examples
of CCS = carbon capture and sequestration.  I exclude EOR enhanced oil
recovery as a realistic CCS alternative, since that approach leaves lots of
chance for release through the thousands of drill-holes in most oil and gas
fields.  When you see the word IGCC, there is an implied CCS option about
which there is rarely any discussion.   Terra Preta soils as an alternative
means of sequestration avoids huge costs and uncertainties that the utility
and coal industries have chosen to procrastinate on when they are not
ignoring the topic.  IGCC itself has very serious cost problems - but the
main problem is with the CCS portion of the duo.

    You also give me a chance to raise the question from several weeks ago
about placing coal dust rather than charcoal into the soil.  I have looked
and found nothing meaningful - but think this is apt to be a real loser.
Coal is the major source of uranium.  Coal has none of the porosity
characteristics of charcoal.  Has anyone found anything to suggest coal
could replace charcoal?

Ron