[Terrapreta] (no subject)

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon Mar 26 20:45:55 CDT 2007

Hi Tharaka,

This sounds like the opinion of someone who has lots of rice husk available.  An unqualified opinion read during any research is not very useful.  If the source where this was written about rice husk has any data to qualify the opinion, then it would be worth sharing with this group, terrapreta at bioenergylists.org<mailto:terrapreta at bioenergylists.org>  Maybe a discussion of the properties of rice husk and how it is shown to be more beneficial to crop production can be presented ?  The use of rice husk charcoal may well depend on the soil, the climate, and the crops its used with as well.

Michael J. Antal, Jr. at UH made this observation about rice hull charcoal, "On the other hand, rice hulls have much ash (nearly pure silica), and so does its charcoal."

So, I think there needs to be more actual data provided beyond anecdotal recommendations.

SKB

Sean K. Barry
Principal Engineer/Owner
Troposphere Energy, LLC