[Terrapreta] http://www.pustaka-deptan.go.id/publication/as072065.pdf

Ron Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Tue Mar 27 10:44:56 CDT 2007

Tharaka:
    It was interesting to read the article you provided.  Thanks.  However, I think we still need more proof that rice hull charcoal is better than other types of charcoal - as only one type of charcoal was reported in this article.  I hope you can convince these researchers or others to try various types of charcoal.

    I would be interested in hearing from anyone on whether they believe all the following comments on pages 2 and 3 by the article's authors ring true relative to charcoal advantages re rooting (and an extension to non-rooting situations).  Or are there other different explanations?

      The higher number of visible roots and longer roots
of the cuttings grown on carbonized rice husk may be

attributed with its better water holding capacity and

drainage. Under such favorable condition, the plant

was provided sufficient air and oxygen for cell respiration

during the rooting process (Frenck and Kim

1995). The moisture in smaller pores served not only

for metabolic activities but also provided sufficient

humidity to avoid excessive transpiration (Karlsen

1997) and destructive temperature fluctuation that

may happen in the rhizosphere (Klapwijk 1987).

     Aside from water holding capacity and drainage, the
better root initiation and formation seemed to have

relation with darker environment provided by carbonized

rice husk. Compared to other treatment media,

black color of carbonized rice husk may contribute to

darker rhizosphere environment. In this situation, the

root promoter (e.g. auxin) may be translocated and

accumulated at the basal part of cuttings where root

initials appear and these induce faster cell division

and differentiation for root formation (Moe 1988).