[Terrapreta] http://www.pustaka-deptan.go.id/publication/as072065.pdf

thomas.beer at clorox.com thomas.beer at clorox.com
Tue Mar 27 11:01:39 CDT 2007

As a guy that has worked with charcoal for many years in Kingsford, I can
tell you that different raw materials AND different operating conditions
give different characteristics in chars. Hardwood is different than
softwood, and even different species (oak, poplar, mesquite, hickory,
pine, ash, fir...etc) have different characteristics. We have done work
with rice hulls in the past and the characteristics are very different
from other chars made from different types of biomass, but this is to be
expected. Different biomasses and different operating conditions make
different chars. So, it seems that we should be characterizing the
properties that we want from the finished char, then working backwards to
specify the operating conditions and the species (or mixture of species)
that give the characteristics (in the finished char) that you want.

It seems that we should start by defining what are the desired finished
characteristics of the chars, and put some science to the advocacy. Char
is not magic, it is produced like any other chemical reaction... with heat
and time and pressure and moisture and reactants. Char can be produced to
whatever characteristics that are appropriate, we just have to decide what
is the target, then do some science around the effects of the
characteristics on crop yields.

Thomas Beer
Manufacturing Technology
Clorox Services Company
3900 Kennesaw 75 Parkway, Suite 100
Kennesaw, GA   30144
770-426-2419
770-426-2428- FAX
770-364-1079- Cell

"Ron Larson" <rongretlarson at comcast.net>
Sent by: terrapreta-bounces at bioenergylists.org
03/27/2007 11:44 AM

"tharaka pilapitiya" <tharaka.pilapitiya at gmail.com>,
<terrapreta at bioenergylists.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [Terrapreta] http://www.pustaka-deptan.go.id/publication/as072065.pdf

Tharaka:
    It was interesting to read the article you provided.  Thanks. However,
I think we still need more proof that rice hull charcoal is better than
other types of charcoal - as only one type of charcoal was reported in
this article.  I hope you can convince these researchers or others to try
various types of charcoal.

    I would be interested in hearing from anyone on whether they believe
all the following comments on pages 2 and 3 by the article's authors ring
true relative to charcoal advantages re rooting (and an extension to
non-rooting situations).  Or are there other different explanations?

      The higher number of visible roots and longer roots
of the cuttings grown on carbonized rice husk may be
attributed with its better water holding capacity and
drainage. Under such favorable condition, the plant
was provided sufficient air and oxygen for cell respiration
during the rooting process (Frenck and Kim
1995). The moisture in smaller pores served not only
for metabolic activities but also provided sufficient
humidity to avoid excessive transpiration (Karlsen
1997) and destructive temperature fluctuation that
may happen in the rhizosphere (Klapwijk 1987).
     Aside from water holding capacity and drainage, the
better root initiation and formation seemed to have
relation with darker environment provided by carbonized
rice husk. Compared to other treatment media,
black color of carbonized rice husk may contribute to
darker rhizosphere environment. In this situation, the
root promoter (e.g. auxin) may be translocated and
accumulated at the basal part of cuttings where root
initials appear and these induce faster cell division
and differentiation for root formation (Moe 1988).