[Terrapreta] http://www.pustaka-deptan.go.id/publication/as072065.pdf

Ron Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Tue Mar 27 15:46:17 CDT 2007

Thomas (cc Tom Miles):

    1.  Yours below is a very important contribution - saying that charcoal makers can craft the charcoal as soil scientists desire.

    2.  Fortunately, we have some very good soils scientists on this list, and others joining all the time.  I am convinced they can answer the question of what we should ask of charcoal producers such as yourself.

    3.  But the soils scientists need funding to come up with those answers.  I don't think the answer is either easy or universal.  I have talked to some soil scientists in Colorado who are held back only because of lack of funding.  I urge everyone reading this to talk to your elected representatives and national researchers who can control funding about the promise that seems to exist for biochar/terra preta and the world-wide need to get cracking on the needed soils research.

  4.  New subject.  I have been trying to get a handle on the economics of terra preta soils - to better make the pitch for larger funding.  You have offered van loads for delivery near Atlanta/Kennesaw.  I don't believe you gave a price - but hope you can either give me one publicly or privately.  Prices from anyone anywhere in the world would be a big help in selling this concept to policy makers.

    5.  From anyone, there is also a need in estimating future economics to have a guess at a minimum char amount that might be applied (kg per sq. meter would be fine).  I think we might all agree that 10% to a depth of 1 meter is probably not the most economic treatment - even if it was a realistic upper limit..

    6.  I see a relative density of 40% for charcoal in this sort of mixed application.  Anyone prefer a different number?

    7.  For Tom Miles:  In trying to find some charcoal costs, I have seen a wide range ($10 - $260 per tonne).  But I also saw a plea from you for charcoal costs some years back on "stoves".  I didn't look extensively, but didn't see responses and wonder if you ever got some good numbers?

Thanks to all in advance for any cost or application data.     Ron