[Terrapreta] Is charcoal cost effective for farming?

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Wed Mar 28 11:49:41 CDT 2007

Bob,

I think you might be pretty close on the numbers for that potato farm.  I think it would be well worth an experiment, if the guy is interested.  You said he is a grower "specialty" potatoes?  Is he an "organic farmer"?  He may be concerned about whether charcoal is an approved input for an "organic" farm.

One thing I have heard from organic farmers is that "yield" is a dirty word.  They are more interested in "quality" of the output and making sure inputs are "organic approved".   One guy told me yield increases are the bane of farming in general in the USA.  According to him, yield increases drive prices down, yield increases are tied to industrial agriculture, heavy use of industrial fertilizers and larger equipment, bigger farms, etc.  Keeping up with obtaining larger and larger yields makes farmers dependent on subsidies (to afford more fertilizer, more land, newer equipment, competing with the big boys, etc.), and do it all when they are getting less and less for each bushel of output.  He said chasing yields is a vicious cycle, which has driven many individual farmers out of business and they lose there farms to huge industrial farming conglomerates, because they can't any longer compete.

But, if we merely mention yield increases and stress "quality" improvement, reduced costs for fertilizer, reduced labor cost and equipment operating time (having to apply the fertilizer), and potential for less "fallow" time on the field, then I think we could have a winner for a guy like your "potato" farmer friend.  I think it would be very important that the farmer make sure the leaves and stems plant waste from the potato plants be incorporated back into the soil every year.

Charcoal in the soil will help the micro-organisms hold the nutrients.  Charcoal by itself doesn't hold onto the soluble nutrients.  It can hold water and aid cation exchange capacity of the soil (this makes nutrients more available to plants), but without the soil microbes locking up the nutrients in their own molecular structures, the soluble plant nutrients (nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), potassium (K), magnesium, calcium, iron) will wash away, just like industrial NPK fertilizer does.  It's the soil organic (<- this is the microbes) carbon that holds nutrients, not just regular old carbon (charcoal).