[Terrapreta] (no subject)

rukurt at westnet.com.au rukurt at westnet.com.au
Wed Mar 28 02:07:45 CDT 2007

Sean K. Barry wrote:
> Hi Kurt,
>
> In some paper I read last night, referred off this terrapreta.bioenergylist.org website, I read covering 10% of all arable land with 1.4% carbon mixture would keep up with the 6 gigatons/yr carbon emissions rate from fossil fuel burning to CO2.  That rate may or may not compare relatively similar to the one you proposed, it depends on the thickness of the layer?  Then again, maybe the back of an envelope person was trying to roll back carbon in the atmosphere to prehistoric levels.

I think the carbon sequestration aspect of terrapreta is a bit of a
chimera, a potential feel good to help farmers and gardeners do some
terrapreting. Consider just how much carbon is coming out of the ground
every day and being burnt. It's not just the fuel aspect of it all.
There is also the heavy industry aspect. Just how much carbon is used in
smelting up a ton of iron, making a ton of steel out of it, and what
about other metal smelting that depends on the oxygen grabbing ability
of carbon, to turn ores into useful metals.

Of course, cast iron and carbon steel both contain a lot of carbon, but
they also burn a lot, and not just for heat, it's fundamental to the
process that hot carbon grabs the O out of iron oxide, making CO2 and
leaving molten iron behind.

See how many tanker loads of oil deliver every day, watch a miles long
coal train go by and realise that to neutralise that movement of carbon
out of the earth the same amount of carbon has to be going out to be
incorporated into the soil.

Back in the early iron age whole continents were cleared of forests to
do this very thing. Even using the best re-newable methods, we could
never keep up with what is coming out of the ground. Perhaps we really
need to get off the earth, capture asteroids, use the sun for power---
go sci-fi. Or, we need to use less. There need to be less of us.

Kurt
feeling introspective