[Terrapreta] (no subject)

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Wed Mar 28 12:25:26 CDT 2007

Hi Kurt,

You said it, "... realize that to neutralize that movement of carbon out of the earth the same amount of carbon has to be going out to be incorporated into the soil."  I agree.

You said, "Even using the best renewable methods, we could never keep up with what is coming out of the ground. ... Perhaps we really need to ... use the sun for power, ... we need to use less."  Wholeheartedly, I agree again.

Solar energy is actually the entire "source" for all the energy we do use or could use on Earth.  It grew the plants that were turned into coal and oil.  It drove the weather cycles to bury the fossil fuels under layers of rock.  It makes the winds blow now and the ocean waves.  It makes all the living plants grow now.  It is the one truly renewable (virtually unending and free) energy resource.

Absolutely, energy conservation (reduced energy consumption) is vitally important.  It's far cheaper to reduce energy consumption and thereby reduce carbon emissions, than it is to build and use any renewable energy technology.  That is most true today, but it will need to change.  Harvesting and using renewable energy sources has to get cheaper than mining and burning fossil fuels.  I believe the path to that is to make fossil fuels pay for the actual cost to society that their use exacts.  Carbon positive energy (BURNING) should be required to pay for the CO2 pollution!  That will give renewable energy sources the economic edge to compete and they will become cheaper.  That will reduce the use of fossil fuels and the consequent CO2 emissions rate.  Then we can keep up with trying to sequester carbon away and make our world footprint "carbon negative" for a century.  Heal the world and quit bathing in our piss!

You also said, "There need to be less of us."  If the world does not grapple soon with the problem of global warming and reduce the amount of carbon emissions that we make to obtain the "cheap fossil fuel energy", then I believe there surely will be less of us.  We will die out like so (too) many bacterium in our little petridish full of urea.  It's just biology, man.