[Terrapreta] Cost of charcoal amendment to soil.

PurNrg at aol.com PurNrg at aol.com
Wed Mar 28 20:17:58 CDT 2007

In a message dated 3/28/07 12:33:42 AM, sean.barry at juno.com writes:

> Silica is fertilizer?  Isn't it insoluble?  Maybe silica (sand) is more
> useful for breaking up clay soils, to let more water in.

Hi All,

No, I don't think one would characterize silica as a fertilizer, though
interestingly enough, it is silica in the cell walls of bamboo that makes it so
hard, so at least bamboo is able to take it up and use it, but I don't think much
else is.

Sand does help as an amendment to lighten heavy clay soil, but with one
serious caution. Sand and clay alone equal concrete. It must be used along with
some coarser items, both biodegradable and non-biodegradable like compost or
PermaTill . This is where a coarse, chunky charcoal might well come in. As many of
us know from experience, if you amend heavy clay with lots and lots of
organic material it will fluff up quite nicely and look delicious, which of course
it is. It rings the dinner bell for all the soil microbes and worms, and they
come streaming in to devour the goodies. Go back to the same site three or four
seasons later and it's pretty much gone back to the clay you started with,
only it's a nicer, richer color. All the marvelous tilth and good drainage you
might have had right after the job is gone.

With the addition of lots of PermaTill, charcoal or other material which is
not consumed by the soil (pre-Columbian pottery shards), you achieve a much
more lasting enhancement.

Peter :-)>

Peter J. Schenk, Jr.
Green Door Gardening Service