[Terrapreta] Cost of charcoal amendment to soil.

Nat Tuivavalagi ntuivavalagi at cmi.edu
Wed Mar 28 20:48:28 CDT 2007

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and am enjoying the communications very much.  I am
based in the Marshall Islands somewhere in the middle of the Pacific ocean -
where soils are sandy and coralline and we have been interested in testing
out charcoal as well.  All our I,000+ islands/ islets are low lying coral
islands, so greenhouse gases and sea-level rise are very serious issues for
us.

One comment on adding sand to clay soils to improve water movement: while
this may be a good advice for those growing pot plants or small flower
gardens, it may not be a very practical idea for farmers - in view of the
huge quantity & weight of sand that will be required and the massive amount
of work required to work in the added sand.

Cheers

Nat

  _____