[Terrapreta] Potsherds

rukurt at westnet.com.au rukurt at westnet.com.au
Thu Mar 29 23:58:33 CDT 2007

Ron Larson wrote:
> Kurt etal
>
>    A nice job of exploring the various explanations.  Thanks.  I enter
> the conversation  as the husband of a full time potter - with some
> experience in low temperature firing myself.
>
>    In addition to your list, I'd like to know if there have been any
> forensic investigations on the pottery.
I doubt it very much, there has been mention of the pottery sherds and a
certain amount of speculation about them and the suggestion that they
might also be involved in the microrganisms situation in the soil. What
the true story is we can probably only find out by "suckit and see" methods.
Additionally, todays pottery activities in the area probably depend on
aluminium and enamelled 'Made in China' ware and have little relevance
to what the ancients did.
I know when we were trading in New Guinea we sold an awful lot of stuff
from there and the Aibom potters worked mainly for the tourist trade,
though their fireplaces were quite popular amongst the locals. Meanwhile
they cooked their rice and other foods in the modern ware.

Kurt