[Terrapreta] Long term effects of charcoal

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Wed May 9 05:30:01 CDT 2007

Yes Alan there a few papers on the subject. I don't know that any
conclusions have been reached however apart from analyzing the make-up of
the pottery and suggesting it may help aeration of the soil. there is astack
of it in the soil. Hopefully Dr. Johannes Lehman's photo will be posted on
the IAI website shortly with his presentation and you will see what I mean
You should find some research links to it if you searched the old Hypography
Terra preta thread

In my home made TP potting mix I always add a bit of clay in the form of *
Bentonite* or *Attapulgite* (kitty litter)or i am told Zeolite would be as
good and cheaper although I have not found a readilly available source for
it.
I would prefer crushed Tera cotta but it is not easy to find
. I always prefer Terra cotta pots for my plants if possible

On lightening
It has recently been discovered, than in "Tornado Alley" in the States,
there are massive sheets/columns of lightning ABOVE the clouds, miles high
and miles wide!! Extraordinary! but I assume just the place to get a few
amino acids out of the air to drop to the soil. Nitrogen of course is the
building block of all amino acids (ie life).
I don't know if this happens in the Amazon. Does anyone else?
Michael Bailes.
"Human beings,
who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of
others,
are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
Douglas Adams, "Last Chance to See"