[Terrapreta] More on clay/pottery etc

Nina Bowman nmbowman at alltel.net
Wed May 9 19:50:47 CDT 2007

Regarding the pottery shards found in terra preta. I think they may have used the pottery as olla jars, which were sunk into the ground and water was poured into them to water the plants. Roots found their way into the pottery and the jars would break, thus needing to obtain another one. This would account for so many shards found at the sites.
 I found the following link on the usage of olla jars which have been used for centuries.

http://pathtofreedom.com/peddlerswagon/garden/water%20savers/olla/olla-pumpkin.shtml

Nina Bowman