[Terrapreta] Abstract on Charcoal in soil

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Wed May 16 06:09:18 CDT 2007

Dear Christoph

Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Dear Kevin,
>
> Terra Preta fertility is the result of increased nutrient availability
> (mainly phosphorus and calcium), lower pH and acidity, and soil biological
> and physical conditions. These were created by soil organic matter
> enrichment (not only charcoal). Therefore we tested different soil organic
> matter sources. Charcoal added very little nutrients but was recalcitrant
> and improved biological and (possibly physical conditions). Chicken manure
> added nutrients but was decomposed during the study period.

Pardon my ignorance, but it seems to me that the Chicken Manure is an
excellent "soil feeder", in the sense of providing both mineral
nutrients, and "caloric nutrients" for soil life forms. Straight mineral
fertilizers provide mineral nutrients only, and do not feed soil life
forms. My concern was that if the soil was marginal, the benefits of all
additions would be very significant, and that the benefits of Terra
Preta could be understated because of other growth mechanisms being more
limiting.

> The soil base was very reasonable. Most Terra Preta soils were made out of
> Ferralsols or Acrisols, the predominant soils in the Amazon Basin.

Heavily leached soils are a real growing challenge.

> We did not consider all forms of carbon as equal, therefore we studied and
> compared them. If you are interested in the full article, please send me
> an e-mail (christoph.steiner(at)biochar.org).

Thanks very much!! I will very much appreciate a copy of this article.

Best wishes,

Kevin