[Terrapreta] Abstract on Charcoal in soil

adkarve adkarve at pn2.vsnl.net.in
Tue May 22 22:21:16 CDT 2007

Dear Sean and Sai Bhaskar,
the vertisols in India are generally quite alkaline, with pH 8.2 and above, and yet they are highly fertile. We grow all kinds of crops in this soil, even those recommended for growing in pH 6.5, like most European vegetables and flowers. In my long career in agriculture, it was once necessary for me to get soil with ph 6.5 for growing export quality roses in a greenhouse. The European consultant, whom we had hired, insisted on it. Since we had only the vertisol at our disposal, I conducted an experiment by adding several litres of concentrated nitric acid to a bed of vertisol in the greenhouse, but there was absolutely no change in the pH. We then grew the roses in the existing vertisol and got good results. I therefore doubt, if the little bit of uric acid in the urine of a cow would have any effect on soil pH. Uric acid is a mild acid, which does not dissociate as much as the inorganic acids. The beneficial effect of cow urine on plants is due to the indole acetic acid from plants, that is excreted through the urine of herbivores. The indole molecule is not used up in the animal metabolism and therefore it is excreted.
    Somebody also recently remarked that sugarcane required soils having pH 6.5. We grow a lot of sugarcane in our region on vertisolic soils and get good yield. I have been studying plants since 1956, and it is my experience that plants have a much larger range of tolerance to adverse conditions than animals. The reason for this wide range of tolerance is that a plant is rooted in one place and it cannot run away from an adverse situation like an animal. Therefore it has to survive under whatever conditions it faces.
Yours
A.D.Karve