[Terrapreta] alkaline soils

Ron Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Thu May 17 08:11:31 CDT 2007

AD (cc "terrapreta")

    Re your question today,  I think a good start at a definition/description is at http://www.dynamotive.com/en/biooil/index.html#what

    This company specializes in producing what they call bio-oil.  But I think almost all pyrolysis processes allow some collection of liquids that can be called "bio-oil".  The volatiles left in any lower temperature char probably contain a high percentage of something(s) that can be called "bio-oil".  The fast pyrolysis process used by Dynamotive is optimized for liquids production.  No doubt, there are dozens or hundreds of different liquid components in "bio-oil".

    But there is still a (relatively smaller) char component with the Dynamotive process.  Its use was described by Desmond Radlein of Dynamotive - as covered in the recent Scientific American article covering the Australian IAI conference - see the first paragraph of:
http://sciam.com/article.cfm?articleid=5670236C-E7F2-99DF-3E2163B9FB144E40.

    I think we will see an interesting future competition between char suppliers using the slow and fast pyrolysis approaches.

Ron