[Terrapreta] Pottery Shards

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu May 17 09:01:43 CDT 2007

Dear Lou

This is a very interesting concept! I would suggest that the first
question should be: Did these people use mushrooms and fungi in their
Culture?

Obviously, if they ate them as food or Medicine or as drugs, or if they
used them as a source of poison, then the possibility of them growing
such fungi would be much higher than if fungi did not play a part in
their Culture.

One thing that would work against such a theory is that usually, fungi
require very specific growing conditions, and it is perhaps likely that
the conditions under which the fungi grew naturally would not be met by
a Terra Preta bed. However, if a Terra Preta bed was found where pottery
shards were found at the same level, and with a uniform spacing, then
this would probably be very strong evidence that the shards were used to
assist with some form of "planting".

It will be very good to get to the bottom of this possibility. The
exercise would certainly give a better insight into Terra Preta.

Best wishes,

Kevin