[Terrapreta] Pottery Shards

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Thu May 17 05:07:43 CDT 2007

First I've heard of it lou
Nice lateral thinking!

Could the shards be used to protect the soil, with fine carbon, from heavy
rain and run-off?
For soil aeration?
For mulch of young plants?
For some trace element in the pottery?
Does the porous structure provide a good home for bacteria or  trap
fertiliser?
Some sort of catalyst to the TP process?
To get rid of rubbish?
Like Russians, who throw their glasses into the fireplace, maybe Indians
smashed their dinner plates at the end of a meal? (A Greek influence?)

Your guess is as good as any, until someone invents a time machine..

Here is a research article on it
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=...pt=sci_arttext<http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0044-59672004000200004&script=sci_arttext>
It might be more comprehensible in the original Portuguese which I note you
speak.(There are a couple of words he uses I don't understand)
There are also many links to other articles (Some in Portuguese) please let
us know if you discover anything?
"May those who love us, love us;
 and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts;
 and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know
them by their limping."
-Irish Blessing