[Terrapreta] Terra preta hitting the blogs this week

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Sat May 19 03:19:55 CDT 2007

Quite a bit of action on the web this week on Terra preta

 Ancient Amazonian technology could save the
world<http://news.mongabay.com/2007/0517-terra_preta.html>
Mongabay.com - USA
*Terra preta*, the ancient charcoal-based soil used by ancient Amazonians to
create permanently fertile agricultural lands in the rainforest, *...*
 See all stories on this
topic<http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ncl=http://news.mongabay.com/2007/0517-terra_preta.html>

Google Blogs Alert for: *terra preta*

 *Terra Preta* - May 18 <http://www.energybulletin.net/29782.html>
 Staff, EB. Scientific American: Inspired by ancient Amazonians, a plan to
convert trash into environmental treasure New website for technical
information and discussions of *Terra Preta*.
 EnergyBulletin.net Environment... - http://www.energybulletin.net
<http://www.energybulletin.net>

 A Carbon Hat Trick?<http://greenvolts.blogspot.com/2007/05/carbon-hat-trick.html>
 By Carl Lenox(Carl Lenox)
*Terra Preta*. I don't know where I've been, but I had never heard of it
until last week. But I'm starting to get very interested in *Terra Preta*.
"Dark Soil", in Porteugese. A sort of miraculous earth found in the jungles
of the Amazon, *...*
 Heliotropic - http://greenvolts.blogspot.com/
<http://greenvolts.blogspot.com/>

 Some unusual uses of
charcoal<http://forums.hypography.com/terra-preta/11626-some-unusual-uses-charcoal.html>
 By Michaelangelica
We may have to fight for our share of charcoal for the garden/farm in the
future given charcoal's many uses. But this looks like a win-win solution!
Everything Old Is New Again how true! *...*
 Science Forums - http://forums.hypography.com
<http://forums.hypography.com>

 Scientists improve bio-oil refining from wood chips and aim for
*...*<http://biopact.com/2007/05/scientists-improve-bio-oil-refining.html>
 By Biopact team(Biopact team)
Such "*terra preta*" or "dark earth" plots are surprisingly fertile compared
to non-treated soils (earlier post). The technique is currently receiving a
lot of attention from the renewable energy community and from climate
scientists *...*
 biopact - http://biopact.com/ <http://biopact.com/>

"May those who love us, love us;
and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts;
and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know
them by their limping."
-Irish Blessing