[Terrapreta] biochar and sugarcane growth (reply to AD Karve)

Jeff Davis jeff0124 at velocity.net
Sun May 20 00:23:25 CDT 2007

Tom wrote:
> Possible? Yes. Desirable? Yes. Worth it to the mill owner? That depends on
> the value of the char. For some reason the mill owners always want to see a
>profit.

For two years full time and eight (about) years part time I ran a saw mill
business. I learned that, to my surprise, the lumber just covered expenses
plus a SMALL amount extra. True, I had poor marketing skills but other small
mill operators expressed the same results.

I found that my profit was in the waste! What I really liked about this waste
to profit was that it was already in my yard! I did not have to buy, truck,
or look for it. Right there it was.

I remember talking with a life long saw miller in Ohio, he is also a machine
builder and dealer, and his eyes would just light up when he talked about the
mill waste and the things a miller can do with it. When I would start to talk
about the lumber he seemed to lose interest. Odd, I thought... But not now...

Saw millers can buy all kinds of machines to deal with mill waste and turn it
into a profit. So if that works for saw mills, here in the states, maybe it
will work for sugar cane mills in other countries. Of course I'm talking
waste to Terra Preta, fuel gas and last BUT not least PROFIT!!

There's gold it their waste,

Jeff