[Terrapreta] biochar and sugarcane growth (reply to AD Karve)

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sun May 20 13:04:47 CDT 2007

Ron,

An efficient gasifier, like one used for gas turbines or synthesis to liquid
fuels,  shouldn't make any char, or the char fraction is low in the
resulting ash. Small scale gasifiers usually make  3-5% char. Run poorly
they can make about 10% char. Pyrolysis systems dedicated for oil make about
12% char. Char yields from advanced processes are something like 33-40%
char. The off-gases from pyrolysis are typically used for driving the
charcoal making process. In that case char is the principal product so all
the value of the product must pay for the process.

I see char as both a potentially valuable byproduct of gasification and
pyrolysis for bio oil and a prime product for pyrolysis for biochar.
Gasification and combustion will remove different proportions of the
nutrients. In the processes being developed by EPRIDA and Iowa State
University the intent is to not only capture the ash nutrients but also to
capture the nitrogen which otherwise is lost in gasification. Energy as
hydrogen may be a lower value byproduct of these processes. (I haven't
studied the ERPIDA proformas.)

The Cane Energy Network is now informal. It was lead by Winrock
International from about 1989 to 2000.
http://www.winrock.org/clean_energy/publications.asp?BU=9054#s10

Much of the activity transferred to India under USAID supported programs.
See Cane Cogen India
http://www.renewingindia.org/newsletters/canecogen/current/index.htm

I know of mills in Latin America that are using eucalyptus with cane trash
and bagasse for power generation. I had a visit earlier this year from
Central Americans interested in harvesting cane trash to use in a local coal
fired power plant.

If there is a market sugar mills will find ways to make biochar. They have a
history of trying many different products and processes for bagasse and
trash disposal including feed, building products and energy. African, Latin
American, Asian and US sugar mills have made substantial investments in
residue use.  Australia has often been a leader in this experimental
process.

Tom