[Terrapreta] biochar and sugarcane growth (reply to AD Karve)

Ron Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sun May 20 12:01:54 CDT 2007

Tom  (cc AD, terrapreta list members):

    Thanks.  Below, I add a few more comments to your message of last night on sugar cane.  You said:
  The inorganic salts in the cane tops and leave melt and vaporize at low temperatures. Even in pyrolysis there is some loss as these elements volatilize at low temperatures. But since pyrolysis occurs at lower temperatures (300-500C) than combustion (750-800C) more of these elements, particularly sodium and potassium, stay with the char.  In Japan the raku glaze is made on pottery by simply subjecting rice straw to temperatures above 750C which is the melting point of the naturally occurring mixture of potassium and silica (2:3) in rice straw. Other glazes like the ones you describe are simply combinations of these salts. In gasification sometimes we can gasify the carbon in a crop residue by gasifying it inefficiently, i.e. leave more carbon, which offsets the tendency for the melted components of the ash to agglomerate.

     [Tom:  Thanks for the added information.  I take this to mean thatyou believe pyrolysis is a simpler (therefore cheaper?) means of obtaining char than is gasification.  Do we have any data on whether gasification removes nutrients that we would rather not remove?  Or is our need for liquid fuels so great also - that we should be emphasizing fast pyrolysis and gasification?]

  Bagasse is generated at the mill as a result of crushing the cane. It has to be delivered back out to the rural smallholder for him to use it. Trash, on the other hand, is left in the field where it must be harvested separately from the cane for use. Harvesters like you'll see in Australia make billets, or short chunks, of cane and strip the leaves. There is increasing environmental pressure to stop burning all over the world so if the trash has a use that will justify collecting it then it will be used.   There still is a "cane energy network" of sugar mills around the world who have been either using or experimenting with combination s of bagasse and trash, or bagasse and wood, that can be used to generate power when the mill is not crushing. This is the basis of the growth of [power generations from bagasse in India. In South and Central America the mills are also modernizing to use less energy and to use their residues. You don't change an industry overnight. We've been working on this with some mills for about 20 years.

     [Tom -  I had not heard of the "network".  This is very encouraging.  Is there a web location for that dialog?

      Are these mills thinking of CHP - so that "waste" heat is available to other types of factories that can then be encouraged to locate near by - and further improve the economics (and further reduce overall energy consumption and CO2 production)?

      What is the ratio of sugar mills "using" vs "experimenting"?

      Any other biomass residue-using industries that are moving from part-year to full-year operation?

      Agreed this will take time - but do you see a new sense of urgency within the network?

      Will or could the transition be speeded up or slowed down by consideration of Terra Preta ideas?]

  Sugar mills making alcohol are still using molasses. Cellulosic ethanol (from bagasse) is still in development which is why it has gotten such a large subsidy.  I don't think we will see pyrolysis of bagasse or trash until a market value is apparent for the charcoal. It is my understanding that oil yields from pyrolysis of grasses and agricultural residues are very low which is why woods are preferred.

      [RWL:  Interesting.  At the IAI meeting, one person emphasized that the word "agrichar" should be replaced by "biochar" - perhaps for the reason you suggest - that wood will be big for TP purposes.  I think we also need more data on whether the char from leaves and trash is as soil-effective as that from wood (thinking of surface area issues).

      The market value question is indeed critical and badly needs the much-increased involvement of soil scientists - and I have been amazed at how many of them there are.  They need funding.]

  I agree that an important objective of this group should be to demonstrate the value and use of charcoal. Then let the open market or the policy makers make it attractive for industrial interests to produce charcoal with qualities that are useful. We have already seen Kingsford/Chlorox ready to deliver charcoal by the truckload and that's not the barbecue quality charcoal.

     [RWL:  We on this list can and must do a lot - but we need a much increased world-wide governmental involvement as well (providing $ and interest in the topic).  We are seeing amazing growth in literature on TP - but we are still mostly unknown.

      Thanks very much for the added education - where I know you have been involved for many years.

  Ron]

  Tom Miles