[Terrapreta] The Value of Terra Preta. Was: Re: Selling Rice Hull char/finding charcoal in Australia

Frank Teuton fteuton at videotron.ca
Mon May 21 18:24:50 CDT 2007

Hi Kevin,

As most of us know by now, the value of an amendment is related to the value
of the crop being amended.

High value crops like orchids, golf greens, etc, already find charcoal use
economic. Charcoal tends to be high in pH before it is leached, so can
provide liming value. Charcoal increases CEC, offers habitat for microbes,
promotes fungal growth, and improves water retention. It can absorb
impurities in the soil such as chemical contaminants.

Obviously the high pH is of concern in areas already having high pH issues.
Washing the charcoal prior to application could solve some of those
concerns, I suppose.

In drought ridden areas the additional water retention of charcoal may
further offset its initial cost. Like humus applications charcoal may help
lighten heavy soils and improve water holding in light soils, and add
microbial habitat in both cases.

The finding of a fit for particular crops and growing regimes is of course a
local science for each growing situation, and needs experimentation. It
seems we are still far from having a clear list of 'Charcoal Best Practices'
in the horticultural and agricultural realms. It is heartening to see that
carbon credits may be coming online to help move the research forward.

All the best,

Frank Teuton