[Terrapreta] A car that runs on coffee grounds

jim mason jimmason at whatiamupto.com
Tue May 22 10:37:05 CDT 2007

On 5/22/07, Michael Bailes <michaelangelica at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is facinating
> Coffee anyone

yes, this is us.

this is part of the mechabolic project i posted here awhile back.  we
are going at the pyrolysis, gasification and terra preta argument
though redeploying the technology as art.  it is getting traction in
the media and lots of popular spread of the idea around the san
francisco region.  this truck will be the entry piece at the
cleantech07 conference tomorrow in san jose.

more information on the mechabolic project is here:
http://whatiamupto.com/mechabolic/index.html

more info on the truck, before the visual conversion to the cafe
racer, is here: http://whatiamupto.com/gasification/woodgastruck.html

we also hold monthly gasification workshops in the bay area.  this
truck was created at the workshop in april.

> > The Cafe Racer, a 1975 Chevy Pickup, has been converted to run on an
> onboard gasified motor which can burn most biomass. The gasified motor works
> by pyrolizing carbon based fuel, breaking it down into carbon, water vapor,
> inert gases, and hydrogen, while simultaneously fixing 50%+ of the carbon in
> the original material.
> >

> > " Think of it this way: if you throw a log in a fire, it burns, and all
> the carbon goes up and back into the atmosphere," said Tom Price,
> Environmental Director of Burning Man. "But, pyrolize that same log, and
> you'll get all the hydrogen atoms out, while fixing most of the carbon ones.
> The result: open source, renewable energy."
> >
> > The recent combination of gasification with Terra Preta Bio Char
> agriculture, the use of soil from the Amazon to reduce carbon emissions,
> gasification has emerged as the only current alternative energy technology
> that can create a carbon negative footprint, though little has been done to
> explore this space. The Café Racer is expected to set the American land
> speed record for a gasified vehicle during its exhibition at Cleantech 2007.
> "We' ll probably use coffee grounds as fuel," said Tom.
> >
> > The exhibition of eco-friendly vehicles at Cleantech 2007 solidifies the
> conference mission of bringing bleeding edge innovations and the scientific
> community behind them to the forefront of the global sustainability forum.
> >

> > Scientific and technical experts at Cleantech 2007 will discuss radical
> advancements upon traditional technologies, cutting-edge pollution-control
> and waste-reduction technologies, and emerging clean business practices.
> Cleantech 2007 will be held in Santa Clara at the Convention Center May 22nd
> and 23rd in 2007.
>  --

jim mason
website: www.whatiamupto.com