[Terrapreta] A car that runs on coffee grounds

Ron Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Tue May 22 17:59:22 CDT 2007

Jim:

1.  Today, in response to a TP input from Michael Bailes you said:

"yes, this is us.

this is part of the mechabolic project i posted here awhile back.  we
are going at the pyrolysis, gasification and terra preta argument
though redeploying the technology as art.  it is getting traction in
the media and lots of popular spread of the idea around the san
francisco region.  this truck will be the entry piece at the
cleantech07 conference tomorrow in san jose.

more information on the mechabolic project is here:
http://whatiamupto.com/mechabolic/index.html

more info on the truck, before the visual conversion to the cafe
racer, is here:
http://whatiamupto.com/gasification/woodgastruck.html

we also hold monthly gasification workshops in the bay area.  this
truck was created at the workshop in april."

2.  And then I guess you repeated an earlier posting, showing more directly your own connection to the terrapreta site, which said in part:

> > "The recent combination of gasification with Terra Preta Bio Char
> agriculture, the use of soil from the Amazon to reduce carbon emissions,
> gasification has emerged as the only current alternative energy technology
> that can create a carbon negative footprint, though little has been done to
> explore this space. "

3.  This message has four purposes:
    a.  To congratulate you on a very creative process and website.  As my son lives in the San Francisco area, I wonder if terra preta list members (me, but I have no plans now) can stop by to see the low cost pyrolysis/gasification side of what you are doing?

    b.  To wish you luck in your competitive efforts today and tomorrow.  I am amazed at how rapidly you were able to put together a working gasification system - with aspirations for a world speed record.  We need to know the char kg output as well. (per km?)

    c.  To let others know that your website references Dr. Peter Read of New Zealand at
http://www.rsnz.org/topics/energy/ccmgmt.php.
     At the recent IAI conference, Peter made numerous important contributions - so it was a pleasure to see his thinking in print - with leads to several other TP-related publications.

    d.  To let others know that Peter's site got me also to a 2004 Conference site on ACC=Abrupt Climate Change - with a good many papers covering TP topics - mostly from the climate, rather than the soils or charcoaling sides of TP R&D.  See
http://www.accstrategy.org/

Glad you are part of this list!  When you have time, many TP-list members would like your ideas on do-it-yourself home/farm based systems for just getting clean, low-cost char. (thinking pyrolysis more than gasification).

Ron