[Terrapreta] More on clay/pottery etc

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Tue May 22 17:26:04 CDT 2007

See-the TP list library
http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/actaminerology

Pottery is found in high concentrations
in Terra Preta soils
http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://people.cornell.edu/pages/jmg225/Assets/images/pottery%2520hand.jpg&imgrefurl=http://people.cornell.edu/pages/jmg225/research.html&h=188&w=250&sz=38&hl=en&start=9&sig2=u3CDm4grRIgT_DG5vrqghg&tbnid=3B1w_iQx6qBhcM:&tbnh=83&tbnw=111&ei=j2BTRoGaA5_0gQPOktjyDA&prev=/images%3Fq%3DTerra%2Bpreta%2Bpottery%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DG

FROM The Hypography parent thread

> It seems other rocks apart from pottery may have been added to the soil as
> well? (I am having trouble getting my head around article-translated form
> Portugese!) What is cauixi and cariapé?
> http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=...pt=sci_arttext<http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0044-59672004000200004&script=sci_arttext>
>
> I have also been researching "horticultural clay". The Terra preta soils
> were full of pottery shards. Horticultural clay seems to be used mainly in
> hydroponic systems. It does have a fine porous structure and might provide a
> good home for bacteria or it might trap fertiliser. I think it could be some
> sort of catalyst to the whole tera preta dynamic.
>
> I guess (hypothesise) two reasons:
> 1. The clay somehow acts as a catalyst for the whole microbiological
> thing.
> and/or
> 2. It allows bacteria in the soil to breathe. You can still buy in some
> places terracotta balls to plant orchids in. I note some American Orchid
> mixes use charcoal and clay

*www.css.cornell.edu/.../images/research/tp3.html<http://www.css.cornell.edu/faculty/thies/lab/images/research/tp3.html>

Zeolite seems to do many of the same things charcoal is claimed to do in
soil
http://www.zeolite.com.au/products/zeolite.html
http://www.cmzeolites.com.au/
http://www.museum.vic.gov.au/mineralogy/zeolite.html
*[image: http://www.3dchem.com/imagesofmolecules/H-ZSM-5.jpg]*
www.3dchem.com/molecules.asp?ID=86*

Actually Amazonian Indians moved to Greece, when the Spaniards came, and
continued their tradition of breaking plates :)
[image: http://www.limaniblue.co.za/pix/plates.jpg]

"May those who love us, love us;
and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts;
and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know
them by their limping."
-Irish Blessing