[Terrapreta] Terrapreta Digest, Vol 4, Issue 183

Rhisiart Gwilym Rhisiart at DDraigGoch.org
Tue May 29 06:42:53 CDT 2007

Siwmae pawb!

I want to get behind this post of Sean's (key snip quoted below) and
push. It strikes me as piercing good sense from first to last,
especially the snip quoted. Terra preta nova is an idea whose time
has come. Right now, urgently, in spades, on steroids!

On some of the other forums (ok, fora if you want to be a picky Latin
scholar) that I frequent, there are sophisticated, insightful and
thoroughly holistic conversations going on about the current global
mess, how we got here, and what's the most likely escape route back
to safety for foolish humans, and for the planetwide lifeweb which is
our ONLY known life-support system. (What the great British poet Ted
Hughes called ".......Earth's beauty-dress / Her life-robe.....")

This ain't just about making things bearable for oh-so-important
humankind, all 6-7-8-whatever billion of us (or maybe less, if it
ends in a dieoff). As Bill Mollison and other profound visionaries
point out, we learn to fit back respectfully and harmoniously into
the Gaian lifeweb, or we're finished, probably; and with us a whole
lot of the fecund beauty of the web, which has rebuilt itself so
effulgently since the Chicxulub meteorite strike.

And I reckon Sean is right. If I were a gambling man, I'd give the
path from here to recovery that he outlines shorter odds than any of
the hitech contenders that I've seen so far. It's been well said by
plenty of commentators that it was too much hitech, high-energy
meddling, recklessly applied, which got us into this mess, so it's
not likely that more of the same will get us out. "When in hole, stop
digging!"

  And, too, there are the gangster-capitalists (I mean that phrase
literally: ruthless, pathologically-irresponsible world-league
criminals) who will have to be recognised for what they are, faced
down, and have their disproportionate power and gross excesses of
private wealth removed, using whatever it takes to do that.

As to how to achieve these urgent crash-priorities, let me give an
already-developed example which will be familiar to some listees here
already:

For decades now, Larry Winiarski, Ianto Evans, and a stalwart network
of other deeply respect-worthy pioneers have been pushing the
boundaries of ultra-cheap, simple, low-tech, ultra-efficient cooking
techniques for very poor, displaced and destitute people within the
deprived and abused eighty percent of humankind. The story of the
development and spread of this appropriate technology is very
enlightening. The principled pioneers from the over-rich countries -
the Pampered Twenty Percent - went to their intended beneficiaries,
asked them what they needed, listened carefully, experimented with
the simplest, cheapest technologies they could devise, tested
repeatedly, listened again and again to the verdicts of the end-users
- mostly poor wives-and-mothers amongst the Eighty Percent - and
refined again on the strength of the women's sovereign advice.

The result is a set of biomass and solar cooking devices which can be
knocked up in hours from scavenged cardboard boxes, tin cans and
such, which have been built in their hundreds of thousands by the
poor end-users themselves once they saw the practical effectiveness
of the devices, and which are now spreading widely amongst the Eighty
Percent, largely unheralded and unnoticed amongst the Twenty Percent.
Much of this spread is being created by enterprising individuals,
working locally, in the poor world, without any input to speak of
from the over-rich world. THEY'RE DOING IT BECAUSE THEY CAN, AND
BECAUSE THEY NEED TO, URGENTLY, FOR THEIR IMMEDIATE LIFE SUPPORT, AND
BECAUSE THEY'VE SEEN SOLID DEMONSTRATIONS THAT IT WORKS. Sustained
motivation doesn't get any more rock-solid than that.

Now -- doesn't that sound like peasant farmers and gardeners
everywhere, when they hear about terra preta nova, and see for
themselves, with the deeply-intelligent pragmatism of the poor, that
it works, and there seem to be no drawbacks; and all inputs are local
and cheap or free, and they don't need to go with their
desperately-needed little scrape-ups of cash to the transnational
gangsters for ruinously expensive patented inputs; and -- so the
scientists say -- millions, no billions of them doing this thing on
their own patches, to satisfy their own immediate, urgent needs, will
also coincidentally strike a massive blow, possibly a rapid
coup-de-grace, at the great climate chaos dragon?

On my own, working only with a little home-made stove, and just
gathering what dead wood I can carry home myself when I'm out with
the dogs, I've already sequestered probably about a hundred kilograms
of char just in my own permaculture garden, in a matter of a month or
two. I reckon that I'm already significantly on my way to making my
entire life, since birth, net carbon-negative. With a little help
from friends, and a second-generation retort-oven that I can weld up
myself, I can push that figure up to several tonnes a year. There's
no practical limit to the woodlands and mountain pastures hereabouts
where I can scatter that, to bury itself under the forest litter:
tonnes per year per person just for simple, backyard peasant-level
activities.

As for the other problem: the brutal, ruthless, blood-soaked,
thieving gangsters with the winning smiles and the ten grand suits
(no kidding, I mean all of those adjectives literally): how to bring
them back under control, and make sure that that shadow side of human
psychology never gets to be so unchained and rampant in the world
ever again....

Well, as David Blume points out in the short outline of his
hugely-effective permaculture farmlet in California, which I
recommended in my post yesterday --

  http://www.permaculture.com/permaculture/About_Permaculture/food.shtm

-- the reason that hitech, high-energy, hyperbroadscale,
super-INefficient, toxic, soil-destroying, unsustainable, big,
globalised agribiz is so popular with the gangsters is because it
almost manages to dispense with labour altogether, substituting
mindless, obedient machinery (which never organises into unions and
communities and starts making demands), and toxic but very profitable
chemicals. And the few human workers who are still needed in that
insane and hopeless system are scattered, few, atomised, disinformed,
distracted and cowed. Ideal labour-relations, from the gangsters'
viewpoint.

But give the poor majority access to terra preta nova knowledge, and
to David Blume et al's hyper-productive and entirely benign
permaculture techniques, and watch them walk away from the siren song
of the gangsters and their greaser politicians, and the
perception-management 'journalists' of the corporate media, and into
the big global tidal wave of action to save the planet -- which also
liberates them from the terror of food-insecurity at the same time.
Which is why they'll embrace it in their millions as soon as they see
that it works.

As the American empire -- the transnational gangsters' number one
control project in the world, bigger even than their schemings in the
Russian and Chinese empires -- totters towards its imminent collapse,
following the Soviet Union only about quarter of a century later,
many millions of poor people in Central and South America and many
other oppressed regions around the world are liberating themselves
from its malign control. Judging by the ferment and flood of creative
ideas amongst dissident US citizens -- see, for example, ex-Special
Forces Master-Sergeant Stan Goff's 'Insurgent American' website -- it
may not be long before lots of the ordinary citizens of the US fight
clear of the toxic nightmare of the media-blinded, hyper-consumerist
hell that they inhabit now, and rise up and re-claim their Republic
and their democracy, and start doing the sort of benign, small-scale
community-serving agriculture that Sean outlines, and which some of
this list's members are already doing. I dream of living to see that
time. For some absolutely dazzling accounts of the prospect of that
great American liberation, see the great American writer Joe Bageant,
at his website of the same name: www.joebageant.com. Joe, let me tell
ya, is a GAS! A radically-awakened good ol' boy who writes like a
permanently-tipsy angel. For a yelling-laugh-out-loud mind-blow, try
his latest: 'Ghosts of Tim Leary and Hunter Thompson'. And the
energetic, vivid, ordinary Americans who send comments to him are
marvellous to read as well -- a wonderful cure for any temptation to
be anti-American. Loathe the empire and the gangsters by all means,
but never confuse them with the salt-of-the-earth common citizens of
the US.

Don't know if I'm loosing the cat amongst the pigeons here. No malign
intention whatever. But terra preta work can't exist in a vacuum. It
has to take account of the global picture, to be really successful
and useful.

Cofion gorau,      Rhisiart G

>Message: 4
>Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 22:17:42 -0500
>From: "Sean K. Barry" <sean.barry at juno.com>
>Subject: Re: [Terrapreta] Charcoal agriculture: not ready for prime
>	time

(snip)

>Hi Allan, Michael,
>
>I agree with Allan.  Neo Terra Preta (renewed charcoal agriculture)
>not ready for prime time?!  Balderdash.  Now is the absolute best
>time to develop charcoal in agriculture.  The simplest way to
>harvest CO2 from the atmosphere, reduce NO2 emissions from the
>industrially fertilized soil and reduce CH4 emissions from animal
>manure is to harvest energy from biomass and animal waste, and use
>agricultural land as a sink for carbon in the form of charcoal.  It
>is our absolute best chance to mitigate the effects that humans have
>made on global climate.

(snip)