[Terrapreta] plastic "char" TP

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Thu Nov 1 03:08:41 EDT 2007

Hi Jim,

I think that your assumption about the most common constituents of plastics is incorrect.  Plastics are not synthetic biomass.  Yes, some plastics can be made from biomass, but indeed most are not, especially historically.  Plastics are mostly synthetically altered hydrocarbons from fossil fuel sources.  These do indeed contain significant enough amounts of heavy metals and halogens and they should absolutely not be introduced into the food chain by amending it into agricultural soil in any form.

The EPA has changed the laws regarding landfills, that they be "sealed" so as to prevent these specific types of toxins (heavy metals and halogens from plastics) from leaching into water tables.  The toxic emissions problems from burning plastics in centralized incinerators for heat and electric generation are more severe than for burning coal!  It is not hysterical to say that plastics are not a good choice for a carbonaceous feedstock for charring.  Would you propose that we put raw coal or "coked" coal into soil?

It is better to use plastics to make recycled plastic products.  This way we will prevent plastics (and the toxins they contain) from getting into the environment and we will reduce the amount of petroleum that gets used to make new plastic.  Right now, we can only hope for the day in which more biomass is used to synthesize new plastics.  Right now, more plastic in the waste stream was made from petroleum.

Another important consideration when making charcoal to amend into soil and form "Terra Preta Nova" soils is that its source is BIOLOGICAL, hence "biochar".  It's not just because the name has "bio" in it either!  One of the concepts that we are trying to develop in this group is to use biochar put into soil as a way to harvest carbon from the atmosphere and sequester it into the soil.  We are after a mitigation strategy for the green house gas problem.  To do this, the biochar feedstock must be "grown" biomass.  That biomass feedstock has to have been part of a living plant, which took CO2 out of the atmosphere when it grew, in order for it to have "harvested" any carbon from the atmosphere.

I hope this helps dispel the myth about hysteria towards not using plastics to make charcoal for "Terra Preta Nova".