[Terrapreta] plastic "char" TP

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu Nov 1 08:28:03 EDT 2007

Dear Jim and Edward

Your concerns about halogens (chlorine, fluorine, etc) are quite valis.

A very simple test for halogens is to burn the material in question, and
put a copper wire in the flame

If the flame turns green, then halogens are present.

You can test this easily... burn some clean polyethylene, and then
insert a sliver of PVC, a sliver of wood that was soaked in salt water,
or a piece of dung,  into the flame. Watch it turn green when halogens
are present.

Best wishes,

Kevin